Whether you are the type of person who does work consistently throughout the day or the type that does bursts of work and take small breaks in between, one thing is for sure, we all have 5 minutes to spare. This is a list of things that you can do whenever you find an extra 5 minutes on your schedule so not a single minute is wasted and you always stay productive.
Break From Work
- Update your to-do list. Moving around and crossing out items on your to-do list would give you an extra boost of motivation and productivity.
- Check or write your schedule for the next day. It would give you something to look forward to doing the next day.
- Reply or send one email. Send a quick email for something you urgently need, or skim your inbox and look for quick questions that can easily be answered.
- Shred old documents and pieces of paper that you no longer use.
- Refill paper or ink on the printer or copier.
- Plug-in and charge your electronic devices.
- Check your bank account. It could give you the motivation to work harder.
- Sort through the stack of physical mail you have received. Sort out important ones like bills or snail mail, and throw out or shred the rest that you don’t need.
- Using your online coupons or vouchers to save money when you need to buy something online.
- Check your credit score and read one thing on how to improve it.
- Pick out tasks from your to-do list that may be possible to delegate to another person and ask them if they can do it for you to clear off some of your workloads.
Clear Your Mind
- Follow a quick meditation routine from a meditation smartphone app.
- Get outside, go to the nearest park, have a walk, and take a deep breath.
- Stand up from your office chair, and do some stretching, it would improve blood flow and make you more alert and focused.
- Eat that healthy snack you have packed.
- Take some quick online skill assessment test that is relevant to you to check if your skills are still up to par.
- Update your LinkedIn profile
- Remove things from your resume that are too old and that are no longer relevant.
- Learn one more new thing about the company you work for.
- Add new things to your resume.
- Think about your next career move.
- Schedule a meeting with your boss to get an assessment of your performance.
- Declutter your email inbox, unsubscribe to a few newsletters or offers that you no longer want or need.
- Delete old text messages or declutter your instant messaging apps.
- Declutter your computer’s desktop and clear the recycle bin.
- Delete some apps on your computer or smartphone that you no longer use.
- Get rid of the overwhelming amount of business cards you received by digitizing them.